Students’ guide to acing placement interviews - Times of India

• Team myQ

0_1551180589636_Interview-preparation-card-e1485532397850.jpg

While students have been busy gearing up for their examinations, what is also keeping them busy is campus placements. With several companies visiting colleges to pick the best candidates, students make sure that they do everything to impress recruiters. BT finds out how students prepare for campus placements and how colleges, too, ready students to face the world outside their campus boundaries…

Prepare in advance, go through mock tests

Students leave no stone unturned when it comes to charming recruiters on campus. From writing aptitude tests to learning from mock interviews, students prepare well in advance for their interviews. “Most companies start the interview with an aptitude test, so I check out a few brain teasers online. A lot of it depends on a person’s general aptitude too and that is not something you can prepare for in a short time. I only brush up on what I have learnt in my course before an interview and that brief revision helps me to recollect the knowledge I have gathered over the years. I also watch a few videos about tips that I could follow for placements,” says Akanksha Jawa, a 3rd year student from Christ (Deemed to be) University. Akhila Shastry, a final year student from Jain (Deemed to be) University — Centre for Management Studies, who recently got placed with an Indian restaurant search and discovery service, says, “Colleges usually send out a potential list of recruiters who visit the campus during placement drives and based on that we prepare accordingly. Preparation depends on individuals too. For instance, I believe that it all begins from your resume and knowledge about the company you are applying for.”

One of the most important things, while one prepares for an interview, is to read about the company you’re applying for. “It is a must that you have some basic information about the company that you wish to work for. When recruiters see that you have read about the company and know how things work, it earns you brownie points,” says Soumya Jit Pal, final year student from Jain (Deemed to be) University – Centre for Management Studies.

Organising events, additional responsibility while in college helps nail the interview
    Akhila also says that while in college, participation in various events and organising fests give you an added advantage during your interviews. “During college fests and events, if you’re a part of the organising committee, it helps you because you get to interact with people and have to speak to sponsors and basically impress people as to why they should associate with your college event. A lot of this translates into the placement interview as well, as they test you on your leadership skills and other skill set,” she adds.

Colleges too read up about companies ahead of placements
    While students do a lot of research and prepare for interviews, colleges too help them with various things. “We have a placement cell in our college through which we help students with whatever they need. We ask them to read about the company and conduct mock interviews. In addition to this, we also prepare them on the nitty gritties such as how to dress for the interview and how body language should be. Teachers too, do a lot of research about the companies that visit the campus,” says Satish Samarth, Manager, Corporate Relations, Jain (Deemed to be) University — Centre for Management Studies.

Be calm and confident, but not over confident, say students
    Students say that confidence plays a huge role while acing an interview. “Be relaxed — You can neither be too casual about it, nor can you constantly freak out. It is all about having a balance,” says Akanksha, adding, “If you are confident about your knowledge, justify it efficiently and the interviewers will take your point into account. However, if you realise you are wrong about something, graciously admit the same.” In addition to this, the way you dress and conduct yourself too is very important. “If you have done your research but don’t dress accordingly for an interview, it sends the wrong message. How you dress and how you speak makes a lot of difference,” Soumya Jit sums up.

Source : indiatimes.com